Cranberry Almond Muffins
Here is a wonderful recipe from our core member Michele - this recipe was originally created by Yun Cee of Astoria CSA. It’s a very quick and easy one but delicious. Let us know in the comments below if you tried it and send us pictures!
2 cups all purpose flour. plus a little more for pan
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
1/2 cup (1 stick) of butter - soft, not melted. plus a little more for the pan
2 large eggs
1 cup sugar (i use white)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cup fresh cranberries. coarsely chopped and mixed with about 1/4 cup of sugar. (set aside)
1 cup sliced almonds
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Generously butter 12 cup muffin pan and dust with flour. Tap out excess. Set aside
2. Medium bowl - mix all of the dry ingredients together and set aside.
3. Large bowl:
Cream butter and sugar together with a hand mixer so that it gets nice and fluffy and mixed. looks like little chunks.
Add eggs. Continue to use hand mixer so that it gets really smooth.
Add milk and extracts. Mix. Should only take like 30 seconds.
You're done with the hand mixer now.
4. Dump the dry ingredients into the large bowl with wet ingredients.
With a rubber spatula, FOLD the batter until they are just mixed. May be a little lumpy but that is totally okay. Do NOT over mix.
Dump the cranberries and almonds and FOLD.
*To create soft and fluffy muffins. You have to fold with the rubber spatula. I do not use a hand mixer or a beater. I have found that using that equipment and/or over mixing creates dense, hard baking products (yuck!).
5. Use a large spoon and put it in the muffin pan.
6. Bake for about 25 minutes. I would put it in for 20 and then see if you need the extra 5 minutes. Should be a little golden brown "crisp" on the top and it's done